Friday, May 16, 2008

Homemade Soaps


I am going to try some homemade laundry detergent tomorrow. I am really trying to get away from chemicals in the house and have come up with some recipes for a few things around the house. We already buy special soaps from the Cal-Ben soap company that are supposed to be good for the environment, but they are a bit more expensive than homemade.

The Laundry soap will be:

1 cup grated bar soap
1/2 cup washing soda (not the exact same as baking soda)
1/2 cup borax


I am supposed to be able to use only 2 Tablespoon of this per load. I have heard this may build up in the water and drain hoses, but I am going to use white vinegar for fabric softener and hope this will help keep the build-up down.

Also, for dishwashing detergent I'm going to try equal parts borax and washing soda.

I'll let you know how it goes.

6 comments:

Ayala said...

Hi! Found your blog randomly using the "next blog" tab at the top of my blogger blog. We live on 7 acres in VA and also have 2 pygmy goats. just for fun right now. I'd lvoe to have chickens, and do some serious gardening but I'm running a store and raising 4 kids too! Anyway, I jsut thought I would say hi and that I enjoyed your pics! Where are you lcoated?

Anonymous said...

I was browsing through that web site the other day and was curious what you were up to...thanks for the post. I'm not sure how vinegar works for fabric softener, won't it smell??

Tiffany said...

Hi Ayala,
We are located in Elgin, Texas. I'm glad you enjoyed my blog. Chickens are pretty easy to keep, not very time consuming at all, but the gardening can take a lot of time. I homeschool my 2 boys, ages 9 and 11, so I have lots of help!

Tiffany said...

Misty,
The vinegar is really to help rinse the clothes well so the soap doesn't stick to them. Vinegar smell dissapates very quickly. I'm actually shocked you didn't know that; it is a secret for getting wrinkles out of clothes(hee, hee). Put vinegar in a spray bottle, spray on wrinkled clothing, and shake the wrinkles out! Although, it's obvious I never use it, huh?

Anonymous said...



when I was a young girl and hosewife we always used vingerto rinse our hair. raly woks very well
ggma

Tiffany said...

Good to know I will try that too. I'm trying to find a shempoo recipe I like, but a lot of them need to be cooked and I know I would not stick with that right now.