Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Goat Update

It has been awhile since I have updated on here. I was so tired after the babies I felt I was the one who just had twins! Frosty is doing better. I went to the vet for some antibiotics for her which helped a lot the first day. Her teat is soft now, but she still has a 3 inch band on her udder that is very hard. She is letting Tipsy and Alvin nurse of that side now. I will give it a few more days.

I had my first experience with milking last week and so did Frosty. The first few days I literally wrestled Frosty onto the milk stand. The first day I thought I broke my hand. On day five the heavens opened up and a miracle happened.......She jumped up on her own!! She still jumps and kicks and acts like a fool when I try to milk the infected side, but we are working on it.

The kids are doing great. Alvin is such a sweetheart. Tipsy is a bit more standoffish. HMMM... makes me think of another set of twins I know. They are starting to run around and play and eat grass. We disbudded them yesterday. We do not want them to have horns for several reasons. They will constantly be getting stuck in fences. Also they can be dangerous to people and other goats even if no harm was meant. Basically we burned two holes in their heads down to their skulls. I know it sounds awful, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. A fellow goat keeper I met on Dairygoatinfo.com, Fran, came out to show us how it was done. Poor babies. If I can ever find my camera I will post pics.

I also have a video of Alvin being born and them running around in the pasture. Stef has to help me get those of his video camera and on here though.

Finally, I believe Holly is finally going to have her kid(s) any day. Now I know I've been saying this for over a month now, but I really feel it this time. Her udder is getting huge and she looks skinnier, like the kid(s) have moved into the birth canal. Also, I think she finally lost her ligaments today. Shouldn't be much longer.

No comments: