Monday, March 17, 2008

Rabbit Move In Day

We finished the colony today and moved them in. The trees don't have leaves on them yet and the rabbits don't have much cover from hawks. I read some where that I could run twine over the top of the rabbits and it would deter the hawks and owls from swooping in. I can see the logic in it, we will see. You can just barely see it in this picture.

We had two different groups of rabbits. Two 5 month old Californian does and four 4 month old New Zealand does. They did pretty good together for their first time. The fur only flew a few times. I mean this literally! I watched them for a little over an hour and I think they will all be fine.


When we put them in everyone came to watch. I think the goats were just interested in the rabbit food. Lala wanted in with them so badly. She actually got in once when I went in, she was very well behaved and just wanted to hang out with the new members of her flock.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can also hang cd's from the wire (think the free kind you get in the mail from AOL, etc.) do deter the hawks. Good luck with the buns!

Leslie said...

Your enclosure looks GREAT!

You're right - those kits would have gone through the fencing like it wasn't even there.

I really really like your blog.

Anonymous said...


I really like your blog also but my commenets seem not to stick
so one more try.
Richard Adams would so pround of your rabbit resort.

I especilly like the 5 star cabanna.

until leaves sprot you might try
a rope net over part of the area.
ggma