Monday, July 7, 2008

Goat Cheese

I made my fifth and sixth batch of cheese today. They turned out better than the others. My first batch was okay but very dry (I squeezed out the whey, when I should have just let it drip). The second and third were rubbery and weird looking. The fourth batch was pretty good at first but got real crumbly and a bit dry. All of the above tasted good, it is just the texture I can't seem to get right. So after asking some questions on different forums I tried making sure the rennet was equally distributed in the milk and I did not let them drain very long. The fifth batch was a little better, but I think it is going to end up a bit dry even though I only let it drain 2 hours. I put french onion soup mix in it for Stef. The sixth batch turned out super soupy before I drained it. I didn't think it would turn out at all, but after 6 hours of draining it kind of looked like creamy cheese. I added some cinnamon and sugar and cranberries to this one for me. I'm letting it firm up some in the fridge then I will give it a try. I think this was my best one yet. I will try more later this week.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...



No doubt it ...you are good.

Now try the can chicken. I will
gaurntee you will be as please
with the result.

I think Misty would be good help.

love
the Old Lady

Anonymous said...

oh no, me and farming don't mix - i'm too much of a city girl (as if you can't tell, HA) i will definetly eat it though ;-) tiff the cheese sounds yummy - maybe we can see you this weekend to try some of it out...

Tiffany said...

I was just gonna text you to see if we could get together this weekend. Stef might have martial arts people over here Saturday night, I'm not sure.

Anonymous said...

i do want to do something, i have a high school friend that is going to be in new braunfels this weekend. you and i can go down with the boys (if you want) and float for a while...or we can go garage selling.... or bastille day is saturday and there is something going on at the french litigation - my ex boss invited us down there, he's a lot of fun. so we have choices. jeff will be running sat morning - participating in a memorial run for his friend rick that died while running the trails last year. let me know what you think.

Anonymous said...

I sure would like to try some of that cheese. Not the milk, can't quite bring myself to try the milk yet. Love, Mom