Friday, August 8, 2008

Baking

I baked and baked and baked some more today. I baked 3 loaves of bread today. One whole wheat, the other 2 white with oatmeal. The oatmeal bread is the boys favorite, of course it is not as good for them.

Here is the recipe:

3 cups bread flour
1 cup rolled oats
2T butter
1 1/2 tsp salt
3T honey
1 packet active dry yeast
1 1/4C lukewarm milk (goats milk of course)

In a large mixing bowl combine all of the ingredients, mixing to form a shaggy dough. I knead dough by hand 10 minutes till it's smooth. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover and rest it for 1 hour.

Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled surface, and shape it into a log. Place the log in a lightly greased 9x5 in loaf pan, cover the pan with greased plastic wrap. Allow dough to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, til it's crested 1 to 2 inches over the rim of the pan.

Bake the bread in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes, until a thermometer in the center reads 190 degrees.

It is really yummy. I don't have the whole wheat down to perfection yet. It is very good with goat cheese for breakfast though. I will post that recipe when I get it down better.

I also made two batches of tortillas for fajitas tomorrow night. One batch was made with goats milk and vegetable oil and one batch with whey from cheese making and shortening. There isn't much of a difference in how they taste at all. The second batch was easier to work with, but I let that dough rest longer than the first and I think that made a big difference. Still trying to find the perfect tortilla recipe for whole wheat tortillas.

I made the beginnings of mozzarella cheese yesterday. Today I tried to finish it but it wasn't quite ready yet. I will try again tomorrow.

I also made spanish rice for fajitas tomorrow. I would usually get Rice a Roni rice, but not any more! It smells super good!

While I did all of my baking and cooking I watched the Design Star that my mom taped for me. I was able to watch the entire series in one setting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...


And I thought I worked hard today.

The bread souds so good I am printing the receipe and will try when chad & stephanie come n the 16th for the week end. A I need is the cheese. I do believe I will buy goat milk ,because our store does sell it.

I also amm writing the boys a letter because I relly miss speaking with them these last few
weeks
love to all

Anonymous said...


Like G-ma, I am amazed at how many new things you get done, but then, I am also amazed at how many things she, G-ma, gets done after her full time at the hospital.
The bread does sound good -- and the tortillas. You seem to have to spend a lot of en recipeergy just running after your animals and mending their ills and injuries. Wish we could sample some of your cheese.
We have been experimenting with a 'sort of' spanish rice recipe. Rice and diced tomatoes and fine chopped green peppers. It's not quite ready for publication yet.
G-ma wants to know if I'm writing a book!

Tiffany said...

I hope you guys enjoy the bread. Gma, be nice to Gpa.

Anonymous said...


what do you mean ,be nice to gpa!!!!!!!!!!

I,m almost always nice