Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Goodbye Evil

We had our first casualty on the ranch today. Evil died. I believe she had an infection from a cut on her teat and I didn't catch it in time. We butchered her and I was relieved to see she was not pregnant. That would have been awful to lose any babies too.

We weren't sure if it would be safe to feed her to the dogs or not, because of the infection. We decided to put her over a spit to cook then feed the dogs.

As sad as this was for us, Evil has been a great practice goat. Stef could practice his butchering skills and since it was going to the dogs not have to be too paranoid about cleanliness and we got to try out spitting a goat. I think it has gone very well.

I have a picture of the spit but can't post it now for some reason. I will try again later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am repulsed and yet slightly fascinated at this posting...I don't think I could be a farmer. I admire you all very much.

Anonymous said...


so sorry about the goat, but it is good to have the pratce. This is not a easy skill to master.


Talking about butchering a goat, do you and Stef know how to best kill a chicken.

when I was killing and dressing them for sale I was taught ,by a Rabbi, how to kill a chcken.

It is a safe and leaves the chicken clean and sanitary

If you are intrested give the old lady up north a call.

It is honestly the quickest and easiest way.

love ggma

Anonymous said...

I think we talked about it before. Last time we had chickens we put the chicken upside down in a cone and cut his neck so he could bleed out. I'll give you a call and see what you have to say.

Anonymous said...

YIKES ;-)