Monday, June 23, 2008

Colfax

I lived in Colfax, Ia from 2 years old to 14. I hadn't been back in many, many years. I have dreams about it all the time though. I bribed the kids with a trip to Colfax's great swim pool to go with me. This first picture is from the base of Cemetery Hill looking down the road at the trailer Park I lived in. Our house is gone, but our lot was the one with the blue trailer with the mini van in front of it. The tree was a lot smaller when we were there!!

Here is a picture of the kids rolling down Cemetery Hill. I used to slide down this hill in the snow. See the tree to the left? I carved my initials into it with my friend Lisa Hopkins.

Here is a view of the street I rode my bike up and down as a kid. Those lamp posts in front of the trailers were there when we were there. The one in front of our trailer was broken though. My cousin Tina was visiting and some boys came over to flirt with her and broke our lamp.

While we were waiting for the pool to open, we stopped by Trainland USA. This place opened up when I was 5 years old. I wasn't sure if the boys would like it or not, but they wanted to check it out. They ended up having a GREAT time. Basically these people turned their entire basement into a huge train track system. It's pretty cool.

Finally the pool was open. I spent a LOT of time here as a kid. This brought back a bunch of memories. The best thing about the pool is the high dive.

Here is one last pic of Colfax. They also had a bit of flooding.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...



I remember Colofax. Was the ice cream shop still there? We use to walk many, many tris to there.

the boys look like dolphins jumping for their dinner

gma

Anonymous said...

I loved that Colfax Pool. I am so glad they haven't turned it into a water park like so many other old pools have. I love the diving boards. You don't see many pools with diving boards any more. I spent quite a lot of time there myself, Tiffany was little when she first went to this pool, took swim lessons here. Mom

Anonymous said...

400 S Ryan Street, Lot 23. Lots and Lots of memories. Wow!! I can't believe it all happened. Sometimes it seems but a dream. I love Tiffany telling her stories, I learn more and more about things I didn't know, like how our Street Lamp got broke!! Oh my, I am so glad I didn't know all those things, Please be gentle, Tiff, I don't know how much I can take. I didn't know you and Lisa carved your names in the tree on Cemetery Hill. Did you check to see if it was still there? I love you. Love, Mom.

Anonymous said...

there is nothing better than swimming pools and big hills to roll down when your a kid, that is the most memorable for me also.